Academics - Reading/Writing
Reading and Writing Loop and Pin
Tiger, Wolfs, Bears and Webelos Scouts may complete these requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment.
Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Reading and Writing Belt Loop
Complete these three requirements:
- Visit a library and get your own library card. Check out and return a book.
- Write a letter or a short story. Read it to your den or family.
- Keep a diary of your activities for one week. Read it to your den or family.
Requirements for the Reading and Writing Pin
Earn the belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Locate and identify the following parts of a book: title, author, spine, cover, table of contents, and index.
- Read a book to a child or group of children.
- Participate in a school or community organized reading program.
- Explain the differences in a biography, autobiography, fiction, and nonfiction books to your parent or den leader.
- Create a bookmark that you can use, or design a book cover.
- Read an article from a newspaper or magazine. This can be done on the computer. Report about what you read to an adult.
- Write a poem and read it to a family member.
- Write a short report about something of interest to you. Read your report to your den or family.
- Read several jokes and riddles. Create two of your own and share them with your den or family.
- Write a commercial, song, or jingle for some product. Perform it for your den or family
- Create your own alphabet, writing system, or code and explain it to your den or pack.
- Learn about another writing system such as petroglyphs or Egyptian hieroglyphs. Do your best to draw some of these symbols. Report what you learned to your den or family.
Reading and Writing Online Resources
Steps to Follow:
- Download and Print Worksheet at bottom of page
- Scout completes Worksheet
- Turn completed Worksheet into your Den Leader
- Den Leader may have questions for your Scout
- Den Leader will enter completion date into Tracking Software
- Scout will be awarded Loop a/o Pin at the next Pack Meeting
- Limit of Two Loops and Two Pins per Month